Home burglaries are costly and traumatic. An estimated 3.7 million burglaries occur in the US every year! Furthermore, many of them were preventable, taking place only because of simple mistakes that homeowners make. Follow these steps and avoid becoming an easy target.
- Lock all your doors and windows. Research has shown that one in three burglaries are committed without force. Intruders simply walk in through unlocked back doors or garage doors, or climb in a window! Make sure to install high security locks on all your doors, not just the front, and strong latches on your windows.
- Keep your yard neat. If you live in a house, trim back any bushes or trees near your doors or windows, so trespassers won’t have easy hiding places. Never leave a ladder out! Thieves use them to climb in a second-story window.
- Install a security system. Even a simple alarm is very effective in deterring burglars. If you don’t know which is best for you, consult a locksmith. It’s very important that cameras and sensors are installed properly, and an expert locksmith can help.
- Use high security locks. Most locksmiths in Sacramento recommend high security locks and keys, which are tested and proven resistant to picking, drilling and other methods of forced entry. Standard locks will barely slow down the modern burglar.
- Don’t advertise that you’re away. If you leave on vacation, don’t make it obvious that no-one’s around. Stop your mail so envelopes and newspapers won’t pile up. If possible, ask your neighbor to park their car in your driveway. Finally, set your lights, radio and TV on an automatic timer. Visit 24 hour locksmith for more details.
In any case, you should always consult a professional locksmith. Don’t settle for a simple handyman when your safety is at stake! There are many skilled Sacramento locksmiths who can evaluate your security, fix any problems, offer improvements and help you make what you have as effective as possible.
Please check 24 hour locksmith sacramento to find out more.